08 Jul Train The Trainer Course Essential Tips
Checklist to follow in order to excel as a Corporate Trainer
1. Excellent interpersonal skills & communication skills: Understanding problems and difficulties, conveying ideas, conducting training – all of this happens through words. It’s unlikely you’ll be able to get your staff or participants properly motivated and that is why a trainer needs to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
2. An ability to present themselves with confidence:
One of greatest lessons all the public speakers have learned that it’s essential to develop a personal speaking style.
3. Impactful training skills:
An excellent trainer needs to have two kinds of expertise – subject matter expertise and instructional expertise.
4. Capability to create training material relevant to the audience:
Nobody is excited about “yet another training session”. So to make your training lively, you should change the delivery format or the type of training material you hand out, according to the participants’ specific requirements.
5. Spontaneity to respond to different situations with ease:
We can’t help but admire those who have the ability to be spontaneous, who say the right thing at the right time, who can speak off the cuff or improvise. So if you want to become an engaging speaker, a dynamic leader or silver-tongued trainer, you need to master the ability to think and speak on your feet.
6. A good sense of humor:
A pleasing attitude is a must for all the trainers and leaders. It allows free flow of ideas and suggestions. Good sense of humor helps to ease out the nerves in the participants.
“Humor makes leaders approachable amongst peers/junior employees” – VladPozdyshev, Chief Human Resource Officer, MTS India
7. Tons of enthusiasm and passion for training:
“Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Douglas MacArthur
Trainer’s passion and enthusiasm for their participants’ learning is important. You ignite participants passion by showing your own zest.
8. Extensive knowledge of the subject:
It is essential for trainers to know well what they are going to talk about – they should have a deep understanding of the subject. Participants always expect and want to be trained by an expert trainer.
9. Expertise to connect with your audience:
Your participants want to feel that they are being listened to and cared for. So based on what you say and do, your participants will have a sense of trust in you and your training.
A very good connection with your participants is vital not only for the satisfaction of your participants but for the overall success of your training.
Successful trainers possess most of the above-mentioned assets and abilities to varying degree and they work meticulously to improve or compensate for what they consider to be their more challenging areas.